IGN “predicts” the Project Cafe launch lineup
Nintendo has taken on a fair amount of criticism after the 3DS’s launch, in that the selection of games for the system was mediocre at best. I’m sure a lot of you will agree that we don’t want the Wii’s successor to suffer from the same launch blues next year that the 3DS did.
With this in mind, IGN’s Lucas Thomas wrote up a three-page piece on what games Nintendo would need to have right out of the gate to ensure that Project Café will be off to a smashing start, and listed games from past Nintendo system launches to illustrate his points. The article’s a good read, but if you’re of the tl;dr mindset, here’s a quick summary of what Lucas thought would make for a killer launch:
- a killer multiplayer game, like Ice Climbers on the NES
- a game that promotes an unusual peripheral, like Duck Hunt on the NES
- a game that shows off the system’s visual capabilities, like Pilotwings on all three systems it appeared on
- a game that showcases gameplay which is only possible on that one system, like Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo 64
- an addictive game with crazy viral appeal, like Tetris on the Game Boy or Wii Sports on the Wii
- a meaty single-player adventure, like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii
- a AAA third-party game that shows fans that Nintendo isn’t the only company interested in the system, like Super Street Fighter IV on the 3DS
- a free demo to get fans excited for a major upcoming title, like Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt on the Nintendo DS
- a nostalgic game for long-time Nintendo fans to sink their tooth into and feel right at home with, like Super Smash Bros. Melee on the GameCube
Again, this is only a rough-and-dirty summary of the full article. Wii 2 news has been really slow over the past few days, so it’s a great way to spend some time while we wait for the next exciting leak to come.
We can deliver all the latest Wii U news straight to your inbox every morning. Want in?