Wii 2 codenamed ‘Project Café’ + April pre-announcement + new specs [Updated!]
UPDATE: As readers Jikayaki and TheDude3445 pointed out, the technical specs regarding the CPU, GPU, and RAM are purely speculation on 01.net’s part. I’ve crossed the specs in question out to reduce confusion.
- the console’s codename is ‘Project Café’
- Nintendo’s aim is to recapture the hardcore market
- a “pre-announcement” is coming later in April, with the full reveal set for E3 (expect this to be something fairly small, like a press release)
- the console uses an all-new controller, not a redesigned Wii Remote
- the controller has a six-inch HD single-touch touchscreen
- the controller has dual analog sticks, a D-pad, and trigger buttons
- the controller also has a front-facing camera
- full games can be streamed to the controller’s screen; it’s supposedly like a miniature television
- the console is backwards-compatible with Wii software (no word on GameCube games or HD output)
the console uses a custom triple-core IBM PowerPC CPU the GPU is a solution by ATI from the R700 family with shader version 4.1 the console has at least 512 MB of RAM
- architecture is similar to Xbox 360 and could easily support Wii and GameCube games
We can deliver all the latest Wii U news straight to your inbox every morning. Want in?